This bill provides FY2016 supplemental appropriations to the Departments of Health and Human Services (HHS) and State to respond to the Zika virus.
The bill provides appropriations to HHS for:
- the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention,
- the National Institutes of Health, and
- the Public Health and Social Services Emergency Fund within the Office of the Secretary.
For the State Department, the bill provides funding for:
- the Administration of Foreign Affairs,
- the U.S. Agency for International Development (USAID), and
- Bilateral Economic Assistance.
The bill sets forth congressional notification and reporting requirements that apply to the funds. It also provides funds to the Government Accountability Office and the USAID and HHS Inspectors General for the oversight of activities funded by this bill.
The bill also rescinds unobligated balances of funds that were previously provided to HHS and the State Department for the Ebola outbreak and to HHS for the Nonrecurring Expenses Fund.
H.R. 5243 was passed by the House of Representatives on May 18, 2016.